The ability to communicate in English is a demand in the era of globalization. Good command of English is very important in the world of industries and business. The progress in business will encourage the development of tourism sectors for the influence of the growth itself.
To response the challenges of business and tourism industry, State Polytechnic of Sriwijaya in the academic year of 2004-2005 opened Diploma III of English department concentrating on tourism and hospitality industry.
The students in this department are trained to have skill in English both spoken and written communications. Beside that they can also get knowledge and skill regarding to tourism, hotel, tour and travel both in theories and practices for 6 semesters or 3 years of study.
Toward a leading vocational education study program in English for Business and Hospitality Industry in 2020.
- Producing graduates who are competent and professional in English communication in the field of hospitality industry.
- Producing graduates who have the knowledge and skills that are capable of doing work and entrepreneurship in hospitality industry.
- Developing and disseminating the results of applied research in the field of Linguistics that supports hospitality industry.
- Applying the results of research as a community service, particularly with regard to hospitality industry.
- To produce associate professional experts who are able to communicate in English orally and in writing that support hospitality industry;
- To produce associate professional experts who are able to do routine jobs in hospitality industry in accordance with national and/or international standard;
- To produce professional experts that are able to be entrepreneurs in hospitality industry in accordance with national and/or international standard;
- To develop and create new works which support hospitality industry;
- To perform service to hospitality industry community in the form of various cooperations that support hospitality industry.
- Meeting job market demand in hospitality industry
- At least 80 % of graduates have a GPA ≥ 3.00
- At least 75 % of graduates have a TOEIC score ≥ 450 .
- To be able to do national and / or international standard routine work in the hospitality industry, each student must
- attend internship for a minimum of 2 ( two ) months.
- have at least one skill certification issued by authorized institutions nationally and / or internationally .
- At least 10 % of students compete in student entrepreneurship programs
- Increase the number of applied research and community service at least two (2 ) events per year .
- Participate in all tourism activities–regional /national events held in South Sumatra at least once within a year
- Each student participates in Daily Worker at least 2 ( two ) times within one semester .
- Promote cooperation between English Department Polsri and hospitality industry at least 1 ( one ) company in two years .
- At least 80% of the total number of graduates of one academic year can achieve ≤ 3 months waiting period to get first job.
- Take part in tourism promotion activities in South Sumatra at least once within a year.
Strategies to Achieve Targets
- Organizing Peer Mentoring program;
- Monitoring the presence of faculty and students to achieve minimum presence of ≤ 90%;
- Providing students with the knowledge and skills to obtain certification from the expertise of national and / or international institutions through public lectures;
- Establishing Advisory Board Committee (Advisory Committee on Academic);
- Motivating students to attend Daily Worker;
- Conducting inter-class competition in the field of communication skills once within one semester.
- Fluent in using English
- Have working knowledge in the field of hospitality industry.
- Able to compete in order to be:
- Front Office Supervisor
- Room/floor Supervisor
- Public Area supervisor
- Food and Beverage Product Supervisor
- Food and Beverage Service Supervisor
- Restaurant Captain
- Restaurant Supervisor
- Tour Leader
- Professional Conference organizer
- Event Organizer
- Tour Guide
Learning Outcome D3
- Master basics of scientific disciplines in the field of hospitality industry;
- Able to carry out work and formulate the procedural problem solving skills in accordance with hospitality industry, as well as to manage working group;
- Able to differentiate standard method and understandard method in the field of hospitality industry;
- Able to communicate and prepare written report within their working scope;
- Able to act and behave in the society and in their career based on the existing norms;
- Able to adapt to science, technology, and / or art development;
- Able to be Tour Guide.
- Presenting andpromotingproductsin thefields ofbusinessandindustry;
- Informingandpromotinga range of servicesin business andindustry;
- Able tocreate, developandmanagea varietyof productsin thefields ofbusinessandindustry;
- Able to develop and manage a variety of services in the field of hospitality industry .
- Able tooperate a computeras a tooltocreateandmanage a wide rangeof business andindustrialactivities.
- Fluent inMandarin.
- Able to groom in accordance with the service standards of hospitality industry.
- Have high disciplinein accordancewithprofessionaland ethicalnormsof society andreligion.
- Able to adapt to clients from different cultural backgrounds.
- Able to provide services in accordance with minimum standard procedure.
- Able to make pastry products .
- Able to hold an event ( Event Organizer)
- Able to identifypopular tourist destinationsin South Sumatra.
- Able to be independent entrepreneur in the field of hospitality industry .
English Department in cooperation with PT. International Test Center Jakarta provides services for international and institutional TOEIC tests that are conducted at least once in a semester in December and May.
English Department has six classrooms that can be used by a maximum of 24 students per class. The classrooms are air conditioned and equipped with multimedia-based teaching facilities. Beside that there are also other facilities such as:
- Multimedia Language Laboratory
- Listening Laboratory
- Simulation Laboratory
- Food and Beverage Laboratory
- House Keeping Laboratory
Front Office and Bar Laboratory